Are you ready for a simpler living arrangement that frees up your time for the things that matter most? Are you overwhelmed with home maintenance and cost of repairs? Or do you have retirement dreams that you’re ready to turn into reality?
Making a move is a big step, but with an experienced personal guide to walk you through the process, your dreams maybe closer to reality than you think. Read below for common concerns of long-term homeowners.
Owners who have been in their homes for a long time often are concerned with capital gains taxes as well as property tax transfer.
Watch the video below discussing the important personal variables that work into the home selling costs including capital gains tax calculation. If you’d like to discuss options to defer your capital gains tax, reach out to Theresa for a quick phone call or custom consultation
Several variables work into the capital gains tax calculation:
1. Property Tax Base/ Original Purchase Price
2. Sale price of the property
3. Total $ amount of home improvements made (kitchen remodel, new windows, see page 9 of IRS Publication 523, "Selling Your Home" and consult your CPA or certified financial planner)
4. How you own the property: as a married couple or single person ($500k/$250K tax exemption)
5. Your tax bracket** (based on income level) which INCLUDES your home sale profits for that tax year
6. Cost of sale
**Please consult your financial planner or CPA for the best answer in your situation. If you need a recommendation, please contact me.
For a very general estimate of your potential capital gains, contact me.
OTHER RELATED TOPICS
- Visit our seller resources pages for more information.
- Watch videos I have created to answer common long-term homeowner questions
- Concerned about your property tax transfer? Read more.
- Read a financial advisors take on capital gains and the different tax rates.
- Read more about the tax implication of selling your home in the IRS Publication 523, "Selling Your Home"
- If an original owner of the property is now deceased, please consult the Step-up Tax basis page to see if you can benefit from this tax law.
- Read about the custom marketing that the Homeowner Experience team offers.
- What is the current real estate market?
- Do you have more questions? Setup a time to meet with Theresa.
To receive a personal calculation for your home’s sale in today’s market, please Contact Me and I will reach out to gather the variables and create a CUSTOM ESTIMATE for you.